Thursday, January 13, 2011

My New Pet

So I'm a pet person -- and I'm not talking children and spouse here because they are much more than that!  I not only have my own, I end up with other people's pets as well.  Two years ago the girls really wanted cats so two it was...until two summers ago when we were adopted by Fluffy the toothless wonder.  I have no idea where he came from but what he is lacking in teeth he makes up for in appetite and enthusiasm...how is it possible for a toothless cat to devour a bird in 10 seconds flat?  Since Les and I have been married we have always had two dogs...until I went to girls camp and came back to not one but two puppies to keep our senior border collie young.  All I can say is it is a good thing the camp wasn't any longer or we'd have been over-run!

Tango about 2 months old
 To add to our dog collection we have had Mom's dog Tango at our house lots over the last two years.  He started out as a cute (albeit hyperactive) fluff ball and has turned into a beautiful and generally cooperative dog.  He has been used for a colouring table, a pillow, a welcoming committee and has kept all the birds in our neighbourhood supplied with nice soft nest lining.  When Mom and DadMan left on Monday they took Tango with them.  He is going to be a part time Idaho resident.  I felt a little bit like I was sending one of my children out into the world.  Do me proud -- and please remember your recent leading lesson!  I hope Josie, Blake and their kids enjoy being his dogsitters as much as we have.

Tango 1.5 and Emma 8
When Lynn was here in summer 2009 she took some pictures of things around our place.  The kids were busy on the saskatoon bushes and Tango discovered that he could pick his own.   I love this picture because it reminds me that there is such a thing as summer.  I can hardly wait!

The branch Relief Society recently had a 70s themed activity for all the girls where we made pet rocks.  When we returned to Grandma and Grandpa's, Grandpa suggested to Mom that maybe I would like my new pet rock.  It is my birthday this month but they will be away.  My pet rock came in a nice compact house with a ribbon on top.  They gave me a lovely necklace made of my birthstone garnet and rose quartz.  Rose quartz has special significance to me.  My Dad always insisted that he wanted a girl and a boy.  Lynn was the girl and when I came along I got to be the boy.  I came into the world built like a house and with decidedly tomboy ways.  I do try to be feminine but it isn't my strong point.   A few years ago a good friend gave me a piece of rose quartz to put in my window sill so the sun shines on it while I wash dishes.  When I look at it I am reminded I can be strong like a rock but still have a feminine side.  So here are my beautiful "pet rocks."   Thank you for the necklace!  I feel spoiled rotten.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

See, I know nothing about rocks, but I always liked the hunk of it on your windowsill. And now I know the story! Nice photo of the necklace on the quartz.

You said you were teaching Tango about leading? How was THAT? I had the impression when I was there that he was teachable to lead, but when I was trying, he was killing my arms.


The next step is getting him into the bath tub...

Home Again said...

Actually it went very well. 5 minutes and he was stuck by me like the world dropped off at the end of my toes -- even when the neighbour's dog got curious and came over. I told Mom what I did and she said she has given him a little two minute reminder every time she has walked him and he has been good so far. He's not so into bathing. They took him to a groomer in Olympia and he got the full treatment. Toes, blow dryer and all. Lucky boy...although I'm sure he missed having his special time in the tub...or NOT!